Locally grown food is a broad term that describes food that was grown within a geographical region that could be considered local to your particular area. Whether it’s within your county, city, neighborhood or even your own backyard, locally grown food can take many forms. Locally grown food can be fruits, vegetables, dairy products and eggs, and locally raised meats.
Locally Grown Food Benefits:
There are many benefits to buying locally grown food, and each person makes their choice for different reasons. Locally grown food creates important economic opportunities, provides health benefits and helps to reduce environmental impact. It also helps bring the community together and gives people the opportunity to make a difference.
Some of the benefits in purchasing locally grown food include::
- It Preserves Small Farm Land: When local farms are established, eating local protects farmland and creates jobs in the community.
- It Reduces Food Miles: When we compare local farm grown food to imported food, the differences can be numerous. …
- It Promotes Accountability: When food is raised and grown locally, the consumer better understands how and where their food is being produced.
- It’s Often Pesticide Free:Many local food producers choose to use organic and natural pest repellants to preserve the health of the food they distribute. Foods produced by large-scale agricultural operations are often mass sprayed with pesticides.
- It Improves Food Safety:Food safety is another growing concern, especially for families with young children and seniors. Food safety refers to a food’s level of contamination risk. With imported food, it can pass through several different hands before it reaches your kitchen, increasing the chance of contamination. I
- It Keeps Money in Your Community:When you choose to spend money on locally grown food, it keeps your money in your community. Instead of supporting large supermarket chains, you can support individuals in your own community and help them prosper.
- It Improves Overall Well-being:One of the most satisfying parts of buying local farm-grown food is knowing that you’re contributing to your community, economy and the environment. The combined benefits lead to an improved sense of wellbeing and fulfillment knowing your purchases make a difference.
Wheatley Farms grows vegetables in our greenhouse and on our property. Soon we will offer hydroponically grown vegetables. Choosing to purchase locally grown food is an important way to support your local economy, contribute to your community, improve your health and do your part to protect the environment. Getting involved in the local food system helps us to gain back the separation we created between humans and food production.